Home to an eclectic community of artists, designers, collectors and craftspeople, the Macleay Valley Coast abounds with quaint boutiques brimming with one-of-a-kind finds. If you’re willing to put in the effort of shopping at the myriad boutiques dotted around the coast, expect to be richly rewarded.
In recent years, Crescent Head has attracted a growing number of boutiques ranging from surf-inspired boho to high-end resort wear. Coastal Folk is a new boutique that features a number of independent Byron Bay lables like Rowie, Spell and Auguste alongside surf-chic books, kids clothes, vintage finds, homewares, umbrellas by local designer Salty Shadows, and more. Coastal Folk is located next to the service station on Pacific Street.
For high-quality and comfortable coastal wear, check out Pandanus (located beside the Blackfish Café) Much of the curated collection at Pandanus is ethically designed and produced. Full of colour and flair, this long-standing boutique is definitely worth a look if you have an eye for quality.
New clothing store Kahuna and Moku in Crescent Head has a large range of fashionable, reasonably priced women’s wear and jewellery that has been created by local designer Karina Brien. Be prepared to walk out with your arms loaded up with bags!
- Mokea Designs, the sister store to Kahuna and Moku in Crescent Head, is also designed by Karina Brien. Expect colourful dresses, bright jewellery and a coastal theme.
- Un4gettable 4Evermore is an eclectic mix of fashion, homewares and fun gifts, particularly for children.
- Above the Salt in the Gladstone Hub showcases a wonderful range of coastal homewares and furnishings with a Crescent head vibe.
- The Old Lodge Gallery Emporium is an excellent place to find original paintings by local artists among jewellery, homewares, clothing and furniture.
- Love hunting for vintage treasures and antiques? Margaret’s Treasure Trove, located beside the Gladstone Fruit & Vegetable shop has a fascinating range of collectables, curious, toys and nick nacks.
- Don’t miss the fabulous Mahalo Interiors, a collection of lovingly curated homewares by local Shonel Everson. Situated on Elbow Street in West Kempsey, Mahalo is the place to pick up a quality last minute gift or treat yourself to a beautiful showpiece for your home.
- Next door to Mahalo, you’ll find Harley & Rose, a fashionable boutique which features a range of popular brands alongside unique designs for both men and women.
- On Smith Street, head to K & A Boutique or Beaux Lady for an extensive range of womenswear, Tracie’s Gifts & Homewares for bargains to fill your home and Ellerslie Flowers, which stocks a small, high-quality assortment of ladies’ fashion. If you’re after swim or surf wear, head to Stormriders in Kempsey Central.
SOUTH WEST ROCKS
- Begin at Rawspice, a boutique with a large range of coastal-themed women’s fashion that has been in South West Rocks for many years.
- Located on the main street of the town centre, Jellies Boutique has an excellent range of swimwear to suit all body types. The South West Rocks surf shop Wave Wear is also a top spot to find swimwear and all the well-known surf brands.
- If you’re after something unique, look for hidden gem Good Vibes Homewares, a curated collection of soft furnishings, gifts, clothing, art and plants located on Paragon Avenue.
- Dallas Boutique is South West Rocks’ newest clothing store with a beautiful range of women’s clothing and homewares.
The Macleay Valley Coast is known for buzzing markets that exude the creative, laid back vibe of our region. Here are some of our favourites…
These home-grown markets are placed on the picturesque banks of the Macleay River, attracting hordes of visitors when they are held on the first Saturday of every month. Each market features a unique line-up of live entertainment, activities for kids, street food, fresh produce, arts and crafts.
Located in the creative heart of the Macleay, the Gladstone Quality Market is a lively celebration of local food, music, art, plants and more. Held on the third Sunday of each month, these markets are the best place to find local produce and unique gifts.